last week I gave you a little Sneak Peek on Instagram and today I want to show you this amazing Speculoos and Caramel Cake! I am very excited about it as I just love the flavor of Speculoos and can’t get enough it! Every time we visit family members in the Netherlands we bring back tons of Speculoos Cookies and Spices. Now I can make Speculoos in form of a cake, happy me.
I baked this little cake (it really is little, I used a 15cm baking tin) as a test cake because I never before baked a Speculoos cake. A friend of mine is graduating tomorrow and I made a fondant cake for her today (pictures will follow soon, promise!) and because she loooooves Speculoos I wanted to bake her a cake with this great flavor. I used the Speculoos Paste you can often find now in supermarkets (also called Biscoff Spread or Cookie Butter in some parts of the world) and to get an even stronger taste I added some Speculoos Spices. I still had a ready to use Spice mixture from the Netherlands, but if you can’t find that, it is basically a mixture with cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves. I will try to make my own mixture soon, as I plan to make some home-made Speculoos (than I don’t longer need to import them from the Netherlands ;)). I think I could make a lot of people happy with that skill.
For the filling I decided to go with a Caramel Frosting as I thought that it would fit quite nicely with the Speculoos Spices. It is rather sweet, so use it thinly unless you like it very sweet 🙂 Nevertheless, I think it fits quite nicely as the cake itself is not overall too sweet. For extra flavor you can add some Caramel Syrup, I didn’t do it for the test cake but decided on the real cake to add it and I was happy with the improvement! We really enjoyed this test cake, or as it says on the cake „Enjoy the little Things“, we certainly did and I hope you will, too.
In the next few days I will show you some pictures of the finished fondant graduation cake, obviously I cannot show it now already, as it should be a surprise 🙂
Have a nice week, rebecca
- For the Cake:*
- 100g Speculoos Paste _(Biscoff Spread)_
- 35g Butter, soft
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 145g Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tsp Milk
- _Additional: 1 Tsp Speculoos Spice_
- 115g Butter
- 220g Brown Sugar
- 60ml Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla or 1 Tsp Caramel Syrup
- 250g Icing Sugar
- _Pre-heat the oven to 160°C and line a baking tin with baking paper and butter the sides_
- Cream together the Speculoos Paste, the soft butter and the sugar
- Add 1 Egg at a time and mix thoroughly in between
- Add the Vanilla Extract and mix well
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and speculoos spices
- Fold the dry mixture into the butter and sugar mixture, add the milk in between and mix until everything is well combined
- Add the cake batter into the prepated tin and bake it for 1 hour at 160°C or until a skewer comes our clean.
- Let the cake cool completely before cutting it into 3 layers.
- Melt together the butter and the soft brown sugar over medium heat
- Add the Caramel Syrup or Vanilla and the milk, let it cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat
- Let it cool down before adding it into a bowl and adding the icing sugar.
- Mix the ingredients together until creamy
- Add to the fridge for about 15-30 minutes, stir in between and check regularly. You want the frosting firm but not solid.
- Once the frosting is firm enough to spread and cake cooled, divide the frosting between the layers and assemble the cake. Spread the rest of the frosting thinly around the cake. Let it firm up in the fridge.
- 1 Cake (15cm)