It is time for a classic and basic recipe.
So far there are not a lot of basic recipes on Icing Sugar, but I decided to change this. Although i like it a lot to experiment with crazy flavors or incorporate funny ideas into my baking, sometimes it is good to get back to basic. So every now and than I want to present to you some very basic and classic recipes. Great and simple on their own, but still able to be turned into something great! Just add some icing or frosting on the top or add some nuts or fruits into the cake batter and you will end up with a much more sophisticated version of this cake. Or just enjoy it plain as it is, because sometimes simple is just the best.
You see, with this basic recipe you can go either way!
I love the hint of tartness the lemon adds to this cake. Feel free to make it as tart as you like by adding more lemon zest or additionally add the lemon juice as well! Feel free to play around with this recipe to your liking 😉 Enjoy!
- 80g Butter, soft
- 250g Sugar
- 250g Flour
- 1 Lemon, rasped
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 250ml Milk
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture
- Rasp one lemon and add the zest to the batter
- Mix together the eggs and milk
- Slowly incorporate the egg and milk mixture to the batter
- Butter and flour a cake tin and add the batter
- Bake the cake for 50-55 minutes at 190°C (170°C fan oven) or until a cake tester comes out clean
- Cake form: 20cm